These cookies are so tasty. I make them fairly often and they're always a huge hit! I've made them with yummy sweet additions (chocolate chips, heath bits) and more healthy options (dried cranberries, nuts). They're super delicious both ways.
Healthy Oatmeal Cookies
(Adapted from Henry and Maudie's Oatmeal Cookies)
- 1 cup sifted whole wheat flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups rolled oats
- Optional: 1 cup extra goodies (dried cranberries, chocolate chips, heath bits.. etc.)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease cookie sheets. Stir together the whole wheat flour, salt, cinnamon and baking soda; set aside.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the apple sauce and brown sugar. Stir in the egg, water and vanilla. Mix in the flour mixture, then stir in the oats. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto the prepared cookie sheets. Cookies should be about 2 inches apart- they will spread a lot!
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven. Remove from baking sheets to cool on wire racks.