Monday, January 10, 2011

Quick and Easy Lip Balm

I got all of my supplies at my local Natural Food Store!

So, I've had this project on my list for ages now. Now that we're really into winter- I figured now was the perfect time to get moving. I'm in Maine- and we have some seriously cold winters here. Chapped lips seem to be a growing trend. Why buy chapstick over and over, when you know you will lose it to the depths of your purse, or your car floor. Make your own! I was really surprised how quick this was to make!
I found the recipe over at GreenBees Blog. She has some pretty wonderful tips, a great blog- make sure you check it out! 
Here's the recipe:
-2 tsp. beeswax (chop or grate it, then measure- make sure to pack it in!)
-2 1/4 tsp. jojoba oil (you can use any oil you like)
-about 6 drops of peppermint essential oil (again, you can use anything you like. I'm going to try some citrus!)

Melt wax and jojoba oil together in the top of a double boiler, although you could probably put it in a glass bowl the microwave for a few minutes. Stir to combine. Then remove it from the heat and add the essential oil. Pour into your containers, but don't fill up completely yet. Wait a minute or two, keeping the reserved mixture melted, then top the containers with the rest of the mixture. This gives you a nice looking top. Let cool for about 20 minutes and enjoy! 

For a waxier gloss/balm- I would add a little more beeswax and be sure to pack it in- as mine was a little too glossy for my liking. Although, after a days use, my lips feel amazing!  Feel free to experiment with things- that's the best part!
I used small round tubs for my gloss- I got about 3 tubs. I'm going to try some other flavors
 and even tint it with a hint of lipstick shaving!









We're linking up to Tip Junkie's "Tip Me Tuesday!"
handmade projects


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...